Saturday, March 24, 2007

Lightning Strike Video

That last post got me thinking about something that happened to me about a week ago, I was wondering why the man was so calm in the video, then Haunted TUNA left a comment on that post about the eclipse that happened awhile back, which seems like a likely explanation for it, also could explain why he was so calm about it.

Which leads me to what happened to me, last week there was a massive power outage in my area, caused by a lightning strike to a power station. When the power went out I went to the kitchen window to see how far the power had gone out (I have a great view of the city from where I live) and as I got to the window I saw huge mass of fort lightning, I quickly ran and got my camera just in case it happened again and it did about 3 more times, but I thought that I hadn't caught any of them on tape. The last post made me remember to check my camera, which is good because I usually just delete what evers on the card if I feel I haven't shot anything good.

Lucky I did check it because I caught my first lightning strike on video, you can check it out below, I've slowed it down 3 separate times just to get a good look at it.

The Lightning Strike

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:06 PM

    That's neat! I love lightening (to watch or attempt to catpure on film). I can never capture lightening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me neither. Cool video rand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were there any sounds when you recorded it? Or was it just lights...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, I forgot to mention that there was no thunder with any of the strikes, which I thought was wierd, the only sounds were alarms and emergency vehicle sirens. I was a little scared coz I live on a hill and I was standing on a wet deck in socks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:12 PM

    Sheet lightning doesn't have sound because it never reaches the earth (ground). I think that's right. (?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm... not sure anonymous... but could be.
    Scary though if not..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:07 PM

    On second viewing it does look like it reaches the ground around the 59 sec mark. Strange.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:45 AM

    You want to get that on the weather sites. There are a couple around, NZ Weather is one that springs to mind, but try a google search.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:23 PM

    Excellent catch!!!

    ReplyDelete