Friday, August 31, 2007

I consider myself Pagan

This may be out of the blue, but I guess it's time to talk about my beliefs, I consider myself a pagan, meaning I don't subscribe to any of the big boy religions, I semi live by my Maoritanga, meaning Maori culture. It is hard in this day and age to live this way because so much of what Maori belief is built on is by being part of the land, having a place to stand, tending that land to survive and feeling good with an honest days work and knowing it's all for something, something that you know inside out and respect.

It's kind of hard to do that when you've got your 9-5 to go to, but I guess that's why they say choose something you love doing, same concept really.

There's also a lot of little superstitions that I live by, mostly regional but could apply to other tribes of New Zealand. One of which is I always have to see a full rainbow, if it's half a rainbow it's an omen that someone is going to die, kind of like a banshee's wail.

My tribe and region also has its own spirit guardians, including an eagle, an owl, driftwood (trust me it's mysterious) and many more.

I hope to make this more a part of MPL because there's some great stories to be shared and some great creatures as well, creatures I can draw.

2 comments:

  1. You know what I do to connect to the earth when I'm at work? I go outside on my break and sit with my back against a tree and play in the dirt while I meditate. It helps. I learned that through studying wicca and nature when I was young. Grounding yourself and just imagining you're tending your own land is almost just as good as being there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yea, and if you iamgine it enough it will most likely come true. All things physical are manifested by thought.

    ReplyDelete