Sunday, January 06, 2008

A place that smells like rotten eggs

So I've been away on holiday and I totally forgot to let anyone know, sorry about that. I went on a road trip to Rotorua with a stop off in Lake Taupo, both located in the North Island of New Zealand.

The weather was stinking hot and Rotorua was just stinking, I had passed through Rota Vegas before but I never noticed the smell, good reason for it smelling though "geothermal activity", it was pretty surprising to see steam rising from the ground in the middle of the main street, pools of hot bubbling mud on the front lawns of the houses we passed and the ever wafting smell of rotting eggs.

It felt as if we were in the middle of some ancient land, the threat of dinosaurs and erupting volcanoes was always on the imagination, though the city is pretty large and very touristy.

I'll let the pictures do most of the talking.

Mt RuapehuMt Ruapehu on the why up, first time I've actually seen it, it's usually covered in clouds when I pass by.

What looks suspiciously like a nuclear silo, New Zealand is nuke free so I wonder what it is, it was big that's for sure.

Rotorua Bath HouseRotorua Bath House which is now the Rotorua Museum is a beautiful place.

Here's a few photos of the hot pools and mud pools located around Rotorua.
hot pool

mud hole

mud hole 2

dead pigWe were driving along and noticed some hunters had been lucky that day.

Mt Ruapehu on way backMt Ruapehu on the way home.

face on Mt RuapehuNotice the creepy face?

It was a great trip, totally refreshed me, though coming home the same old problems are around, I think it's time for a proper change.

1 comment:

  1. Great photos! I am glad you enjoyed your trip.

    ReplyDelete