Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Puppy video making people think again?

By now you've probably all heard of or seen the video of the soldier throwing a puppy off a cliff, there's all sorts of discussion around if it's real, I don't know but the video has hit a nerve with a lot of people, I just hope that in our 5 minute culture that it's not easily forgotten.

Since the start of the war I don't think I've seen such outrage from every day people since maybe the Abu Grade photos, the fact that people are dieing each and every day in the Iraq war seems to go unnoticed "it's sad, but what can I do?".

The puppy video seems to have people thinking about what this war is about and what is actually going on there, people are looking at the war from another emotional angle, not just seeing it as the same old war where people kill people, because to me it seems people are oblivious to this war, we've become desensitized, but what this puppy video has done I feel has provided a fresh angle by which to clearly see the horrors of war.

I started a blog a long while ago all about video footage uploaded by soldiers serving in these wars, I only made a few posts but as a result I continue to watch a lot of this type of footage and the most intriguing thing I've found is that they're just like me and my friends in the kitchen at work, when works slow we make jokes, prank each other, do crazy things, but when it's busy we're full on getting work done.

And that's what I've found while watching videos of soldiers serving, they're just a bunch of young people, doing their job, getting work done, but when times are slow it's time to make their own fun.

And that's very similar to what the Vietnam vets I know tell me in their stories, work hard, play hard and playing hard while fighting a war is a lot different than playing hard in the suburbs.

Young people plus boredom doesn't mix well, mix war and a place you don't really want to be into the equation and you've got something not to pretty at all.

Anyway this rants gone on long enough, long time coming I guess.

1 comment:

  1. I still haven't watched the puppy video. I just can't do it. I know the story, but won't watch the video.

    Frankly, I can watch video of humans killing each other because I feel that humans at least have some chance to shoot back or run away, but animals, babies and children are a totally different thing in my mind. There is just a line there and killing something that has absolutely not chance of defending itself is beyond my understanding. Cowardly and sick.

    ReplyDelete